This program is a unique opportunity for professionals and students in nursing, midwifery, neonatology, pediatrics and related fields to internationalize their practice and make an important contribution to the development of neonatal care in Rwanda. Co-hosted with the Council of International Neonatal Nurses (COINN), the principal goal is to support the leadership of the newly founded Rwanda Association of Neonatal Nurses.
Participants travel to Rwanda to learn about the country’s neonatal care environment and to work hand-in-hand with Rwandan colleagues to develop institutional and technical capacity. Both upcoming programs culminate in a major conference – the 7th World Healthcare Students Symposium (Nov 23-26, 2017) with special neonatal care workshops and the 1st COINN Africa Conference (Mar 16-18, 2018).
Technical capacity development: Acquire the Helping Babies Breathe® (HBB) provider or trainer certificate and teach the curriculum alongside local colleagues at health facilities.
Institutional capacity development: Mentor the leadership of the Rwanda Association of Neonatal Nurses in a range of areas, including developing a strategic plan and budget, establishing a fundraising plan, reviewing the bylaws, developing conflict resolution procedures, establishing a continuing education plan, developing a membership plan, working on a website, blog and newsletter, etc.
– Contribute to the development of neonatal care institutional and technical capacity in Rwanda
– Participate in an HBB® master training and gain first supervised teaching experience to solidify your skills
– Or mentor Rwandan neonatal nursing leaders
– Participate in the 7th World Healthcare Students Symposium or the 1st COINN Africa Conference (registration included)
– Gain invaluable intercultural competence that is relative to your profession
– Benefit from the professional exchange with other participants and Rwandan colleagues
– Explore an exciting destination and immerse yourself in the culture of your hosts
Additional opportunities to become a Helping Babies Breathe® (HBB) provider or trainer are available in Vietnam or Tanzania. Please check our main global Neonatal Care page for further information.